Newspaper Industry Statistics and Data
The Power of Newspapers and Newspapers Online
People frequently ask us for the latest newspaper industry statistics highlighting readership information and newspaper advertising trends and we are always eager to share the good news. Newspaper industry trends indicate that newspaper readership continues to be robust, and newspaper advertising statistics continue to show that newspapers reach the educated and affluent audience that advertisers want to reach.
Newspaper Readership is Impressive!
Remember how exciting it was to find out who was going to be in your class at school each year or if you were going to receive that super cool, turbo-charged, must-have item for your birthday? We at MANSI Media can relate because that’s pretty much how we feel when the newspaper industry statistics are released. We can’t wait to learn about newspapers’ expanding readership. The most recent newspaper industry trends certainly didn’t disappoint - they confirmed that newspapers have a large and loyal base of readers.
- More than 168 million U.S. adults, or 7 out of 10, read a print or digital newspaper each week – which is considerably more than the 108.4 million viewers who watched the 2013 Super Bowl!
- Newspaper websites have more than 113.6 million unique visitors each month which is 64% of all active Internet users
- 58% of adults aged 18-34, and more than 71% of adults aged 35+, read a newspaper
- 76% of households with income above between $100K are newspaper readers
- 28 million adults access newspaper content on their smartphone or tablets in a typical month
- 54% of newspaper consumers use two or more platforms to access their newspaper content
Newspaper Advertising Makes the Cash Register Ring
Newspaper advertising trends indicate that newspapers are THE place to invest your advertising dollars! Newspapers and their integrated products reach an educated and affluent audience who are avid shoppers. Check out these newspaper advertising statistics.
- 79% of all U.S. adults have acted on newspaper advertising in the past 30 days including 48% who made newspaper ad-driven purchases
- 63% of newspaper readers read the ads when paging through their newspaper
- Newspaper is still the most used medium for shoppers to check out ads. The Internet is second.
- Three-fourths of U.S. adults read newspaper inserts/advertising circulars
- 40% of newspaper readers made an unplanned purchase from information conveyed in an insert
- Newspapers are twice as likely to bring sales to your attention compared to television, direct mail and online
- 72% of coupon users obtain them from newspaper inserts
- Consumers rate newspapers as the media…
- With the most trusted and believable ads
- Most valuable when making shopping planning and purchase decisions
- Preferred source for receiving advertising information
- Which contains advertising that you consult from the stores that you regularly shop
- That includes advertising that you look forward to seeing
Sources: Scarborough USA+ 2012 Release 1 Total (Feb 2011 – Mar 2012), comScore Media Metrix, How America Shops and Spends 2011