As the media world changes and expands, retail advertisers continually evaluate their media strategies. For retailers, newspaper circulars are a large component of their advertising campaigns and based on the results of a 2012 research study conducted by A.T. Kearney, Inc., the future is bright for the newspaper circular business.
Kearney’s study revealed that newspaper insert advertising is here to stay for a variety of reasons:
- Industry experts have a consistent point of view about the value of newspaper inserts.
- Publishers are protecting the circulation of advertising vehicles, including adding opt-in products such as Sunday Select.
- Local newspapers are retaining readership and have high levels of penetration into their market.
- Consumers view newspaper circulars as critical to the shopping experience.
- As younger consumers age, they will turn to newspaper products to get local content not available through other media sources.
The study also found that retailers are committed to printed inserts as they continue to be positioned as one of the largest marketing line items. Many retailers have increased their use of circulars because they are one of the best tools for driving store traffic.
Some have questioned the threat of digital advertising and its potentially negative impact on the newspaper circular business. This study concluded that digital’s emergence is actually complementary to circular business. As these advertising channels continue to expand and evolve, the unique characteristics of each provide value to the retailer. Whereas digital is used for information gathering and comparison, newspaper inserts trigger entrance into the buying funnel and are used to drive traffic to actual store locations. Currently, there is no digital replacement that drives in-store traffic and purchasing decisions at the same level of circulars.
If you are interested in incorporating newspaper inserts into your marketing plan, call MANSI Media to simplify and streamline the process.