All good advertising plans need to include a "media mix", here we take a look at broadcast television and newspaper as comparable mediums.
Broadcast Television Strengths:
- Offers excellent reach due to DMA coverage
- Creates emotional appeal through use of audio and visual
- Advertiser can target message through selective programming
- Glamorous medium - larger than life
Broadcast Television Weaknesses:
- Audience composition - losing viewers to cable
- Advertising message avoidance increasing through technology (TiVo, DVR)
- High Television insertion cost
- Plus, commercial production costs
- Good reach medium - strong circulation, penetration and readership figures
- Offers a variety of ad sizes and non-traditional ad units
- Timeliness - can get an ad in quickly
- Advertiser can convey a detailed message - no limit to size of ad
- Passive medium - no "tug at heartstrings"
- Perceived audience composition
Both broadcast and newspaper are strong reach mediums. If you are looking to reach a mass audience, these two mediums will work well.